Sunday, April 10, 2011

Review for Oral Presentation

Last Thursday, I went through the oral presentation of our proposal. It was quite a challenge for me, but luckily I have done it although the actual performance was not so desired.

I feel the power point slide for our group is excellent. We have spent a lot of time to make it attractive, clear and coherent. Especially, for part “Bus – A Permanent Line”, Xiu Qin used appropriate and impressive animation to express our idea very clearly.

Before the actually presentation, my team met twice for rehearsal. But I think we should do more than that as from the actually presentation, there were still mistakes. I was very busy last week, as one of my closest friends in Shanghai visited me on Wednesday and Thursday. The night before presentation, I actually never practice on my own. And this causes me appeared very nervous on the presentation day itself because I knew, I was not familiar with the speech text. From this I learnt, there is always unexpected things, we should start preparing everything earlier.

On the presentation day, our team standardized our dressing. This is very important as this is a formal presentation when we dressed as a team; we express our team spirit and our profession. Everyone arrived school early that day and we tested the presentation slide very carefully.

During the presentation, I was really very nervous. I was not very confidence in presenting in front of a group and the camera actually made it worse. I referred to speech text very often and I also missed a few number to points that I prepared. I think these can be improved by continuous practicing.

The experience of writing proposal and presenting it is very enriching. I have learned a lot from my teammates.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Chen Yan,

    First of all, congratulation to you to complete the largest project in ES2007S. As an audience, although I noticed that you often referred to the speech text, you controlled yourself very well and you were not as nervous as you thought.

    I agree with you that "there is always unexpected things, we should start preparing everything earlier." Chinese also say that "机会是给有准备的人的." Even though something looks very difficult, if you put enough efforts on it, the result will not be as bad as you expected. Therefore, do prepare all the presentations, exams, even tutorials beforehand. That will help us to reduce the level of anxiety.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chen Yan!

    You did a very good job last week for the presentation. (: You put on a very nice smile which makes you more approachable and its also comforting for the audience. You made good use of the laser pointer too and I can see that you are well-prepared for this presentation. It's okay to miss out certain points as I'm sure no one really noticed it and this happened to me too!

    However, I feel that there are certain things you can improve on in terms of better eye contact and emphasizing words appropriately. Most of all, display your confidence! Avoid being too reliant on cue cards too.

    On the whole, you have done well and I see improvements from the previous peer-teaching. (: Your team demonstrated a very strong identity and this is something I like. All the best!

    Cheers,
    Elaine (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chen Yan!
    Overall I think we did a decent job for the presentation:) all the hard work that we put in is definitely worthwhile! I felt that we showcased good teamwork as well through the support that we gave to each other! It has been great working with you:)

    Cheers,
    Xiu Qin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chen Yan!

    The presentation is finally over eh! Despite being nervous, I think you did just fine- you did not show during the presentation that you were very nervous because you did not shake or stutter- but instead, spoke confidently. It's a pity we could only meet twice, but I think we did a good job still. :) Maybe one suggestion to you would be to rehearse more so as to do away with the cue cards. When you are able to say your speech without cue cards, you know that you are ready to give a great presentation. :)
    All the best for your future presentations... it's been good working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chen Yan,

    I though the slides were awesome. It shows that the team really put in effort to appeal to the audience attention, especially with the moving cars and buses.

    I guess you were right that practice makes perfect. But your 'lack of practice' certainly didn't show as you did just fine without any unfavourable comments to make. Well, the camera did offer a distraction sometimes. In that case, in future, you could just ignore it or pretend that it wasn't there, and it will turn out all right. Congrats!

    Cheers,
    Fahmi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello chen yan!:)

    Its awesome working with you!:) YAY! Its over! I am glad to be in Team Clover together with you all! You did a great job too! :) However, I felt that it would be even more impressive if you rely less on the cue cards. You have a very nice smile, I am sure the audience would love to have more eye contact with you too!

    Lets work towards to do away with cue cards the next time, I believe with more exposure to presentations we would definitely be able to do it! JIAYOU! See you in a few hours time!:D

    Cheers,
    ting

    ReplyDelete